Each year Good Hope Hospital and Heartlands Hospital care for thousands of babies some of whom are born up to four months early and weigh as little one pound. An average of one in ten newborn babies need the support of the neonatal units across Good Hope and Heartlands. The unit also takes babies from across the whole region. The neonatal Unit provides 24 hour care using dedicated breathing machines, incubators and state of the art monitoring machines.
The hospital charity aims to support the unit in providing the most advanced medical equipment, over and above NHS Funding.
The Charity also aims to provide mothers and families with the ‘added extras’ that they need to ensure that their stay on the ward is as comfortable as possible by providing soft furnishings such as comfortable feeding chairs, and plans to refurbish the parent overnight room and feeding room.
Did you know?
• Each year Good Hope Hospital and Heartlands Hospital deliver an average of 11,000 babies.
• Over 1,000 of these babies are cared for in the special Neonatal Unit at Good Hope Hospital and Heartlands Hospital every year.
• It costs £1,000 per day to run a cot for a premature baby in intensive care. Some babies require only a few days of care, whilst others may require a stay of several months.
• Premature babies born before 37 weeks are vulnerable to a range of problems, including breathing difficulties as their lungs are not yet fully formed.
• Because of their small size, premature babies do not normally have enough body fat to regulate their own temperature and need to be cared for in an incubator to keep them warm.
• Very premature babies (those born before 32 weeks) may be too young to feed and have to be fed via a tube directly to their stomach.
For further information on how you can support the Babies and Newborns fund at the hosptial, please contact one of our Fundraising Managers:
Laura Power at firstname.lastname@example.org to support Good Hope Hospital
Sian Averill at email@example.com to support Heartlands Hospital
Heartlands Hospital Charity is launching a new £150,000 appeal to seven brand new state-of-the-art incubators and omnibeds for the Neonatal Unit which will provide the very best care for the...Find out more >
The Eden Bereavement Suite cares for those families who sadly lose their baby through miscarriage, stillbirth or neonatal death. The unit provides a peaceful and private environment for...Find out more >
The Snowdrop Bereavement Suite cares for those families who sadly lose their baby through miscarriage, stillbirth or neonatal death. The unit provides a peaceful and private environment...Find out more >